The OF Blog: And this is part of the reason why I don't want to read or be associated right now with "genre"

Monday, July 01, 2013

And this is part of the reason why I don't want to read or be associated right now with "genre"

I said a couple of weeks ago that I was tired of certain things that I was reading and I wanted a break.  I alluded to this sordid affair, but I thought at the time that I'd just step back and let those who are much more involved in it to hack it out.  So I read my Twitter feed less and read a variety of books or played an inoffensive racing game on my iPad instead of keeping up to date with matters.

Then I bothered to check my Facebook timeline just now and I saw all the ugliness screen-captured for people's edification:  Speculative Friction.  It is a complete airing of dirty laundry and it just confirms for me why there are certain people whose fictions I've never liked or were never interested in reading.

And with this out of the way, back to reading.  Thinking of alternating between Philipp Meyer's The Son and Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things.

3 comments:

James said...

The God of Small Things is definitely a more worthy thing to spend your time on. I have to read it again one of these days.

Shannon @ River City Reading said...

I'm reading The Son right now and it is absolutely blowing me away. It starts out small and just continues to build, constantly getting better. I can't recommend it enough.

Larry Nolen said...

Yeah, both are very promising so far, especially The Son (I've read about 100 pages, or around a fifth). I also enjoyed greatly Meyer's first novel, Rust, and think his selection for the 2011 "Forty Under 40" The New Yorker list was justified.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites