The OF Blog: I'll be editing an original anthology for publication in 2011

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I'll be editing an original anthology for publication in 2011

Last week, I blogged about how there was an exciting new opportunity about which I was awaiting final approval.  Now I've finally received word from this small press in the Pacific Northwest that they have accepted my proposal for creating a themed, original anthology of speculative fiction that will be published sometime in the second quarter of 2011.

I have always dreamed about editing an original anthology (the work I've done helping with the editing of Best American Fantasy 4 has only strengthened this resolve) and although some might have thought I was joking when I mentioned it in my Nebula Blog bio, I am finally going to get the chance to do an open reading for an original anthology of squirrel-related SF, to be called, Squirrelpunk

Below are two mock cover arts that Serbian illustrator Dunja Branovački has created for this anthology.  Doubtless, she will be adding more details once the final selection of stories is made later this year:


Hard to say which is better, but I do know that I enjoy the way she created a clockwork squirrel here.

As noted above, Squirrelpunk will be original stories only that involve squirrels in a steampunk-like setting.  The opening reading period will be from May 1, 2010 to October 31, 2010.  All submissions should be manuscript format and be sent via email to the following address:

squirrelpunkfiction@gmail.com

Hopefully, there will be several dozen submissions and that it'll be very difficult to choose the finalists for inclusion in Squirrelpunk.

16 comments:

Jen said...

loving the cover :D it deserves a real book, not just an april's fool blog post.

i bow before my squirrel overlords.

Larry Nolen said...

I agree. Dunja does great illustrations and I suspect will be making a name for herself as an illustrator in the next few years. If I ever do get to choose my own cover art, I'd probably ask for her to do it.

And yes, bowing before the squirrel overlords is a good idea!

Harry Markov said...

Oh, this is going to be awesome. Do the squirrels have to be protagonists?

Larry Nolen said...

No, the squirrels can be rabid, vicious, and/or evil, if you'd like.

Harry Markov said...

I can feel a weird idea blooming in my head. :)

Larry Nolen said...

But can it match the sheer awesomeness of the cover art?

Anastasia said...

nice choice of publisher.

Harry Markov said...

I will let you decide, oh wise squirrel man.

Ellestra said...

Steampunk squirrel is awesome. I think it should be in the header. And someone ought to write it :D

Neddie_Eoin said...

Congratulatins on acheiving your goal!

Neth said...

Squirrelpunk has potential. I'm particularly interested in the introduction essay you'd write.


Anyway - the post date actually says March 31st....

Though I would be interested in seeing an anthology edited by you.

Larry Nolen said...

Yeah, I purposely gave it a March 31 header, just to see if any might believe it for a sec. Guess not, although it seems several here would really love to read steampunk squirrel fiction...

I wonder if that particular editor would publish such :P

Neddie_Eoin said...

Well, it's a tall order to come up with a concept any more ridiculous than what's already out being published. Be the genre speculative fiction or current events. Kudos.

Ellestra said...

You know in Locus April Fool's post Tachyon Publications announced a competition to invent a new subgenre of science fiction and fantasy. I think in alternate reality where both of these are true you've won that contest :D

Larry Nolen said...

True! I saw that this morning and laughed, thinking about how it dovetailed with this. But if you did click on the link to one of the Nebula blog posts of mine, you'll really see that I do want to edit such an anthology. After Killer Rabbits and Zombie Raccoons was released by DAW last year, why not squirrelpunk? They are adorable on the outside...and vicious on the inside!

Paul said...

If there is anyway I can help, even if it is just crimsoning things, let me know Larry. :)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites